Did you know that you can complement your SoftLayer infrastructure with IBM Bluemix platform-as-a-service? (Read on—then put these ideas into practice with a special offer at the end.)
When you pair Bluemix with SoftLayer, you can buy, build, access, and manage the production of scalable environments and applications by using the infrastructure and application services together.
Whether you need insight on the effectiveness of a multimedia campaign, need to process vast amounts of data in real-time, or want to deploy websites and web content for millions of users, you can create a better experience for your customers by combining the power of your SoftLayer infrastructure with Bluemix.
Bluemix solutions and services allow you to:
- Optimize campaigns in real-time based on customer reaction using Watson Personality Insights and Insights for Twitter.
- Run scalable analytics using Streaming Analytics to retrieve results in seconds.
- Improve outcomes with Watson Alchemy API and Retrieve and Rank paired with high performance bare metal servers.
- Automate hundreds of daily web deployments using SoftLayer and Bluemix APIs.
- Securely store, analyze, and process big data using Cloudant database service with Apache Spark.
You can see the value of an integrated SoftLayer/Bluemix experience by looking at insights and cognitive, big data and analytics, and web applications.
Insights and Cognitive
Forty-four percent of organizations say customer experience will be the primary way they seek to differentiate from competitors.
The scenario: Marketing organizations and advertising agencies want to release a large, worldwide marketing campaign, complete with embedded ads. With the explosive growth of mobile, social, and video, those ads are often image- and video-intensive. Not only are these enterprises worried about how to run such a high-performing workload where customer data needs to stay in-country, but they have no idea how effective their campaign will be—and whether those receiving it are the users they’re trying to target—until it’s too late.
The solution: A media-rich campaign workload can run on high-performing bare metal servers in SoftLayer data centers. Cognitive services are added to understand in real-time the impact of campaign and target customers, whose personal data is stored in proximity to the user.
- SoftLayer bare metal servers run media-rich (video, image) campaign workloads.
- Bluemix’s Insights for Twitter service is used to understand in real-time the impact of the campaign.
- Watson’s Personality Insights allows you to see, based on 40 calculated attributes, if users viewing ads match the target customers.
- Globally diverse block storage enables data storage across the world.
Big Data and Analytics
The value of data decreases over time. On average, it takes two weeks to analyze social data.
The scenario: Customers need to harness vast amounts of data in real-time. The problem is many data streams come too fast to store in a database for later analysis. Further, the analysis needs to be done NOW. From social media, consumer video, and audio, to security cameras, businesses could win or lose by being the first to discover essential patterns from these real-time feeds and act upon them.
The solution: Customers can use Streaming Analytics and get results in seconds, not hours. Alchemy API and Retrieve and Rank services can improve decisions and outcomes all from bare metal servers with scalable IBM Containers.
• Streaming Analytics can run scalable analytics solutions and get results in seconds, not hours.
• Patterns that are found can be stored with the associated stream content in object storage and transferred around the world using CDN to be co-located with their customers.
• Watson’s Retrieve and Rank service can improve decisions and outcomes.
• Run services from high-performing, low-latency bare metal servers that can scale as activity swells using IBM Containers.
It can take several weeks for a DBMS instance to be provisioned for a new development project, which limits innovation and agility.
The scenario: Customers deploying websites and web content for millions of users need fast infrastructure and services so they can focus on their users, not spend their time managing servers and infrastructure. This is especially true for commerce sites that need to be constantly available for orders. These also need a reliable database to securely store the data. The problem is these customers do not want to manage their database, and need an infrastructure provider that is worldwide, reliable, and screaming fast.
The solution: Customers can host web applications on VMs and bare metal with a broad range of needs, including sites that require deep data analysis. Apache Spark can be used to spin up in-memory computing to analyze Cloudant data and return results 100x faster to the user.
- Automate hundreds of web deployments using SoftLayer APIs.
- Cloudant DB offloads DB management, reallocates budget from admins to application developers.
- Apache Spark analyzes Cloudant data 100 times faster using in-memory computing cluster.
- Bare metal servers provide a high-performing environment for the most stringent requirements.
- Load balancers manage traffic, helping to ensure uptime.
- Virtual servers with the Auto Scale service grow and shrink environment to consistently meet needs of application without unnecessary expenditures.
- Object storage open APIs speed worldwide delivery via CDN.
Put these ideas into practice by trying Bluemix today. To get you started, we are offering you a $200 Bluemix spending credit for 30 days when you link your SoftLayer account with a Bluemix account. When you link your Bluemix and SoftLayer billing accounts, you receive a $200 credit toward Bluemix usage. The credit must be used within 30 days of linking the accounts.
Follow these easy instructions to get started:
- Visit the SoftLayer customer portal and log into your account.
- Open a ticket to request the ability to enable the ability to link your Bluemix account.
- Once activated, the “Link a Bluemix Account” button will appear at the top of the SoftLayer customer portal page.
- Click on the “Link a Bluemix Account” button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to link your SoftLayer account to a Bluemix account.
This offer expires on November 30, 2016.